Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can I add pkgages from pkgadd Command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhawani123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
IN
Hello,

I have solaris 2.7 Version installed on my System.Whenever
I want to go for package add.I faced same problem always.
error message is given below.

pkgadd:ERROR: no packages were found in < ./dstreAAA4ja4Mh>

I am very frusted.can anybody give me some tips about resolving this problem?

Thanks,
Ajay

The pkgadd expects a path, so typing pkgadd -d <DIR> will open a menu, where all the available packages are displayed. The DIR can be any directory, the working directory is . (dot). If you want to install new packages, for example on a Solaris CD, you have to type `pkgadd -d /cdrom/cdrom0/s0/Solaris_2.6`. Of course your CD will have another path.
Hope it helps! regards
chenn

Hi chenn,

My package is in /mpeg directory and what I write in front of command prompt is...

pkgadd -d /mpeg/package name

But I always get a error message and when we try same thing
on my solaris 2.5 system it work fine and installed properly.is any thing wrong with solaris 2.7?

Regd,
Ajay Lohani

Youe need to type the directory path only, pkgadd will then start giving you interactive prompts, firstly it will list all packages in that directory and give you the option to chose which to install.
i.e. if your packages are in /mpeg/packages directory then type: - pkgadd -d /mpeg/package

There is no need to type in the name of tha package at that stage. I have just done a pkgadd today on Solaris 7 and it worked fine.

Ged Jones

Top man

Hi bhawani !

Why not try using &quot;admintool&quot; to install software ? , it is more simpler than commandline.
Rajesh rajeshrcmc@hotmail.com
&quot;Better to ask a question once and be thought a fool once, than never to ask and remain a fool forever&quot;

Some Sunfreeware packages are not of the directory format. They are binaries and typically end in <local>. In these cases you need to give the complete filename.

directory example:
<pkgadd -d . >

binary example:
<pkgadd -d mypackage.2_0.thisver.local>

Hope this helps..

Pete

I tried it but getting same error.

Regd,
ajay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search