Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I access FC4700 Drives Without an FC4700?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bithunter

MIS
Apr 25, 2006
US
Hi all,

Here's a question for you EMC vets out there...

The objective: I need to create a disk image from a Seagate 181GB FC drive that came out of a Clarion 4700.

The problem: When inserted into an external 10 disk FC enclosure (Originally SGI) and attached to a Qlogic 2200, I can see the drive within Win2003. I also attached a non-EMC 9GB Seagate FC drive for testing purposes to make sure the FC card and enclosure were working properly.

The 9GB drive can be accessed and imaged fine. The 181GB EMC drive *appears* to be working fine, but when I try and view the RAW sectors within WinHex or any other program I see all 0's. I was able to determine with a stethescope that the heads are not moving when I try and access the sectors at all. It's like it is not getting proper commands from the controller, although I can see the disk access lights blink properly when I access it. I have several of these 181GB drives and they all do the exact same thing, so I know it is not a drive failure.

Does anyone know any way at all to create a RAW disk image of this drive in either a single file, or image the drive off to another non-EMC specific FC or ATA/SATA drive? Do I absolutely *need* an EMC 4700 for this? Are there any other external cases/controller combos that would work?

Any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks!
-BH

If you're trying to replicate a flare drive, I think you'll need the Clariion to do that. The flare code is in a hidden area of the first three drives. The drives have a 520 byte sector.
The best way to make yourself a spare flare drive is to use a clariion with everything unbound. Swap out one of the first three drives and let the Clariion build it.

bithunter-
If you are trying to recover specific data, and those drives were part of a RAID group (a RAID-5 for example), the data is going to be scrambled via the RAID striping.

--
Bill Plein
a.k.a. squiddog
Contact me at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back