Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Can Exchange Administrator Read User Mail? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

powpow

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2003
US
I am an Exchange 2000 administrator and have been asked by my boss to check on emails being sent by a few employees.

Is there a way to actually read the message bodies of emails sent by users through my Exchange server? I have no problem using the tracking log to see what has been sent and recieved by users but cannot figure out how to actually view the full text of these messages. Is this possible and if so, how?

Thank You

1st step...
Go into Active Directory Users & Computers, change your view to advanced, click on users on the left pane, on the right pane, view the property of the user you want access to. Go into either Exchange General tab or Exchange Advanced (forgot which one) click on "mailbox rights". In there add yourself there.
2nd step...
Open up Outlook, click on Tools - Services (or email accounts..depends on which version of outlook you are running) click on properties of ms exchange server, click on advanced tab and add that users mailbox there. Then in outlook it will show your mailbox + the one's you just added. Do this for the rest of the mailboxes....

hope this helps
P

Thanks for the info..........this brings to mind another question.

If I add the user mailboxes in question to my own Outlook Exchange server properties, how will this affect both my own mailbox and the "monitored users" mailboxes?

For example, when I go to check my mail will I have seperate folders for my own mail and those that I'm monitoring? Will I need to choose a profile or mailbox to open Outlook under? And vice-versa, will the monitored user have any indication whatsoever that something is different with their own Outlook? Perhaps recieving copies of messages, having their own messages forwarded through my box, etc... ?

Please let me know of any particulars as it is imperative that these users 1) Be completely unaware they are being monitored 2) Still be able to use Outlook without problem for conducting legitimate company business.

Thank You!

Jake Garcia
NT Administrator
MCSA, CCNA

What I did was just created a new profile with that users name. So when you open up outlook you just choose the users profile you want to view and you just see their mailbox only. They won't know you are there if you don't delete or open any new messages. If you do open new messages make sure you make them as "unread" before you get done. Don't forget that it better be a true business purpose, otherwise you could get burned in the long run!

Sorry, I did not mention that users in this company are all using local .pst files. I know that if my Outlook client is pulling the original messages being monitored from the server, then the monitored user will never recieve them. Now if I am being sent a copy of the monitored message there shouldn't be a problem. But, if I'm getting originals then the monitored user will never get the email because they will be on my hard drive :)

My best route seems to be using this info and setting up a test account to monitor and note the results.

Thanks again and if anyone else has more input I'd love to hear.

Jake Garcia
NT Administrator
MCSA, CCNA

If they uselocal PST, you cannot capture them.
The only way to do so is move them to the server.
Or, but this is really woorying, admin can capture ALL, but really ALL mail, but this is really unethical.
Like speedracer mentioned, beware of what you are doing!!! It is considered a breach of confidentiallity at most places, if your boss demands it, make him aware of that and have him sign it so you are covered!

[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! -
Marc[/sub]

You can get around the local PST's by setting a second recipient for all incoming mail. Go to the user you want to "spy" on - on the Exchange General tab, select Delivery Options. Add yourself to the list, but make sure you check the "deliver to both" checkbox. Now you can open the full message and the other guy won't have clue.

OWA is also an easy way to pop into someone's mailbox, but you have to be discrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back