Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can Email bypass server but get to laptop and smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyec

Technical User
Aug 20, 2004
US
ok, this is strange. i have my laptop & smartphone download my emails but not remove them from the server. only my desktop removes email from the server.

tonight however, i got a phishing email on my laptop & smartphone but when i went to the webmail server that email was not there & when i downloaded my emails to my desktop that email did not show up there either.

sorry if this sound confusing but, i am totaly confused as to how this could happen.

any ideas.

Only one email account - correct? You verified the "keep on server" setting on both devices right after you realized the email did NOT come to the desktop - correct?

If both are affirmative, it doesn't make sense. I don't think that any spam filters can remove mail AFTER it gets into your mailbox.

You don't have a local spam filter on your desktop email client (spam folder). That might explain it.

server did not show the email in the bulk/spam folder, keep on server set for both laptop and smartphone. desktop did not show it in the junk/spam folder either. i have never seen this happen & cannot figure it out.

We need a better mind than mine at this point. The spam wizards are getting so clever that their emails arrive via osmosis into your inbox.

Thanks for your thoughts. I am going to have to watch for this again. It mirrored an email from LinkedIn, but viewing the source code, it came from a Germany ip address and the bogus link went to a Germany .com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back