Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can Crystal reports turn a blob (or memo) field into a normal fiel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2000
US
Hi everybody,<br>I'm writing a report in Crystal that requires the ability to select records on a description box that Crystal interprets as a memo or blob field.&nbsp;&nbsp;Because of that, I haven't been able to use that description field in any formulas or in the select expert<br>Has anyone gotten around this problem yet?<br>Thanks,<br>Oren

Fields that have more than 256 characters are interpreted by SCR as memo fields, and cannot be used in formulas.<br>If ~250 characters is enough, then cast the field as a varchar(250), and then you can use it in a formula. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Thanks Malcolm,<br>250 characters are enough, so how would I cast the field as a varchar(250)<br><br>Oren

If you are using a client server database, you could create a view or stored procedure that performs this CASTing - see your DBA for help on that, as s/he might want to monitor what you are doing.<br><br>If you are using ODBC, you could use the SQL Query tool to create a SQL query to base your report on.&nbsp;&nbsp;In that SQL query, you would <b>CAST(table.memofield AS varchar(250))</b>.<br><br>If you are uncomfortable writing SQL, your DBA could help you with this - it is a good skill to acquire when using SCR.<br> <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back