Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how can a rexx script run in background??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp2000

ISP
Sep 19, 2001
BR
HI!!!

I need to make a rexx script to run in background (&), but I don´t know how to do it. It´s a simple script that runs over solaris 2.6, that makes a telnet to a remote node and execute a tail -f in a log file.
does anybody have an idea?

tks,

Hi,

hope it will help u..
I do not know much about solaris and am presently working on IBM mainframes. Here , we ahve written rexx program which are can convert VSE JCL to MVS jacl. And this can be achieved by the compiler available on MVS os( name I will send u later). If ur machine has that then ur program will run in batch mode.U should create a dynamic JCL and submit it . it will run in background..

for more...do try ..this ..info..
byee

Some environments can have background limited or shut off.
You must first answer these questions.
Is batch available?
will security (acf2) allow my id to submit to batch?
(you might have to ftp your script to the side that has batch on it you will need to have a valid id and password fot that side)
Then if on IBM you will need the proper jcl job card.
The question is why batch?
What do you want your rexx to do ?
lsilvenis@aol.com

You can run ANY program in unix, like a background job appending an & to the command, like:
[tt]
/name/of/rexx/script arg1 arg2 &
[/tt]

I hope it works...
Unix was made by and for smart people.

I am trying to get Jacl to work under the OMVS shell. The post from REXXBOY suggests that this is possible. If it is possible then I would appreciate information on how to get Jacl to work under the OMVS shell.

if you want to run yout progam on /390 you have to have a small jcl:

//TSO EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01
//SYSEXEC DD DSN=your.rexx.lib,DISP=SHR
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT(yout-output-class) for say
//SYSTSIN DD *
%RXPROG

if you need more (to have also ISPF in batch) write direct to kw@spgmbh.de

Heinz

I helped a friend do something similar and it wasn't possible to do both UNIX script and telnet together. However, why not write a script on the target machine to
(1) tail log >file
(2) ftp to your machine and put the file there .
Also, why not ftp the file to your machine and tail the local file

Stanleyrx has the right idea.
Create standard file naming conventions so you will always transmit the data to the same file name(S) Then your rexx code can be boiler plate (production) and can execute against different data as the data changes. Include the header info for dates and data description. Once you get this working expand your rexx code to handle variable formats with variable number of columns.
Leonard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back