Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can a report identify how it was run ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggy19

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
Basically, my problem is that I am using Crystal Reports and I want to find a way to have a single report file that reacts differently depending upon which of two programs calls it. (I want a viewable version and an exportable version, but only want to have to maintain one report file)

One way I thought of to use an old Unix command called "Link" which creates multiple pointers to a single file. This allows the file to have multiple names. Unfortunately, I am running Windows rather than Unix and so...

I remember reading an old MS-DOS reference that mentioned some file attribute fields that were reserved for this command, but I don't know if it was ever implemented.

I have tried using a Windows shortcut, but this runs the original file with the original filename.

The only other way I have thought of doing this involves creating a dummy table with two records, doing a cartesian join and then filtering the records based upon that extra column, which is too complicated and WAY too much work, if I can avoid it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Hi

Cant you handle this in the calling program itself?

Regards
Krishna Kumar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back