Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can a limited account user in xp, run simple programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usalabs1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2003
US
In windows XP pro, I have 2 accounts setup (not including the default admin account) 1 account I and my wife use has admin privileges (with password) and the other (for my stepson) is a limited account, the problem is, I installed Baldurs Gate using my admin account (because it wouldn't install on the limied account), it installed with no problem, but my stepson can not run it on his account, I have given full permission to his account on the Baldurs Gate folder and all subfolders, and it still don't work, it works if the shortcut is right clicked on then 'Run As administrator" is selected , then the admin password is entered, it also works on the admin account.

Is there a way to be able to click on the desktop shortcut and just that program would run with full access, without displaying 'you do not have enough rights to run this program'?

Possibly. Often it is a registry permission that is missing.

You could use regmon (freeware) to open, play, and close the program to discover the entries that need additional permissions for the limited user:
This soon gets tiresome as you add new games. The bottom line is that most Games require Administrator status.

From what you're saying, it all boils down to forgetting the limeted account(s) and let everyone use the admin account, if that's the case, I may just as well buy my stepson his own computer :(

I thought that was the idea of having limited accounts, the limit would be on not being able to fool around with other account documents and system files, but allow legacy programs to run (as long as they don't interfere with the system files).

Unfortunately, that seems to be the trend with games lately. I don't like it either, but if you want to play the game, you have to run it with administrator rights.

AckNack

Black Viper, the internet philosopher of NT services, comments:
"Most, if not all, games and applications require you to have "Administrator Privileges" to install them.
Most, if not all, games require you to have "Administrator Privileges" to use them."

The Microsoft Games troubleshooter notes: "If you installed a game by using an administrator account, you may have to log on with an administrator account before you can play the game."

Games with their use of DirectX, OpenGL, intensive registry use, odd ports through firewalls, and heavy use of the hard disk drive and CD Rom, are special beasts.

I must have been a blonde in a previous life :) I totally forgot about the compatability function.

I'll try it to see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back