Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how asm'compiler should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgarasm

Programmer
Oct 29, 2002
BR
I don't know exactly what asm's compiler I should use to learn assembly language. I've tried out TASM and NASM but I am getting a bit confused about what is the best to begin. Somebody could give me some tip about?

Dear friend,
The first tip I want to give you is NOT to say compiler while you talking actually about ASSEMBLER. The assembly language is not compiled one.

If you running windows, try to run search for ML.EXE, it is the new assembler from Microsoft. To be honest with you I don't know id it comes with Windows or VC++ 6.0 Processor Pack, but any ways it is easy to figure it out just type ML as a DOS command.

If you will right 32 bit apps, don't link with the new linker, instead download the old one from Micrsoft. Walid Magd
Engwam@Hotmail.com

for me i think TASM is the best, but it is better to try others yourself, A86 and MASM

I find I tend only to use the very basic features of tasm, which are much the same in all assemblers anyway. Which is best depends mostly on what you intend to use it for.
BUT!! Have a look at other things that may or may not come in the package. Disassemblers and profilers are very important tools.

I would (and did) go with TASM...

it seems to be pretty-widely used...

So you can get support through more people...

I messed with nasm a little but never really got interested...

I prefer Borland products (2nd to microsoft products) anyways...

Good Luck with your decission

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh Stribling
cubee101.gif

Bringing the thread up again...

I cant download MASM from microsoft website, I search microsoft site for "MASM download" and "MASM", it provides a link for processor pack for Visual Studio 6.0 VC++ but the link doesn't work. I need a free assembler that is widely used so that I can get help. I would prefer MASM because the book I'm using is based on it, can anyone please help me.

take care

YEH GHAZI YEH TERAY PUR-ASRAR BANDAY

Thanks a lot CubeE101, but will TASM 2.01 assemble code written for MASM 6.15? I have two assemblers now
1. NASM (Windows 32 bit and DOS 16 bit)
2. TASM

which one is closer to MASM 6.15.

Thanks again CubeE101.

take care

YEH GHAZI YEH TERAY PUR-ASRAR BANDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back