Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How & Where to determine MIS file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

mok123

Technical User
Dec 13, 2001
SG
Hi,

I would like to know on how & where to determine the MIS file size. This is because at present our media dds of 40GB seems insufficient to cater the MIS file. I'm using NTbackup to backup the MIS.

Appreciate help on this.

warm regards,

Mok

Are you referring to the Exchange Information Store? If so, that's typically in \program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata, and is comprised of the .edb and .stm files contained there.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm referring to Exchange Information Store. The files found are as follows :

1) priv1.edb = 18.5GB
2) priv1.stm = 5 GB
3) pub1.edb = 13MB
4) pub1.stm = 10MB

From the above, the total size is 23.28GB. However, it can't seems to fit into the DDS media of 40GB via the NTbackup.

Need your help to shed some lights on this. Thanks again.

Mok

That depends on how you're backing it up. If you're doing the NOT recommended way, brick level (backing up individual mailboxes), then it will always be more because you lose Single Instance Store. And, depending on how much is stored that way, can be quite high (I've seen well in excess of 40% higher).

If you're backing up the information store (the recommended way), you've also got to include the transaction logs, which can also take up a fair amount of space.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Depending what you are using, you may find you are backing up both store and brick in which case it won't fit for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back