Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Alias' work in Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPeterson

Technical User
Jan 21, 2000
US
I am studying for my CNA and I don't understand when or how you would use an alias. The book says you create an alias when you need information about a user in another container. That doesn't make sense to me.

Greetings --<br>
<br>
Simple example: Alias Netbasic Load Netbasic.<br>
<br>
At console, you can type Netbasic and press enter. The alias &quot;transfers&quot; your alias command and loads Netbasic.<br>
<br>
You could use it to represent a volume (or sub-part) in another location or context. To the users it appears as if it is a &quot;local&quot; or assigned item. Similar to mapped drives, but can be applied to any leaf object.<br>
<br>
Does this help?<br>
<br>
<br>
Bellerophon

An alias is good for users who login at different locations. If you have users who use different computers and you set their context when they go to another location that can't login because their context is incorrect. If you use an alias and put it in the root of your tree they can login from anywhere and the context does not matter. This is good for laptop users also. Especially when you have different locations in your tree. This is just one example of how to use an alias.

Another good use is when you are doing a tree restructure, or you're moving a lot of objects from one container to another.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>You move everything, and create aliases where the original location was and then you can gradually get around to all the clients and repoint them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back