Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How add desktop icon to systray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LABAY

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
US
XP PRO

I have a one-line systray in Desktop.

Is there a way to add IE and OE icon to systray? I could do this in W98 by dragging it in there, just to right of START. Doesn't happen in XP PRO.

In W98, could open IE and OE by clicking on them there.

There's a vertical stitch mark to right of START button. cursor becomes two-way horiz arrow on it but doesn't change anything.

What's it for?

-LB

Drag any shortcut you want there into C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Right click on the taskbar on make sure Quick Launch is ticked (so its displayed) - default is not displayed in XP Pro.

Quick launch bar & Systray is different.

As far as i know, don't know how to add in systray bar.

As far as I am aware, apps create an icon in the systray as aprt of the installation routine.

There are a couple freeware utilities to do this. Try:

I warn you that what Microsoft now formally calls the "Notification Area" has always been problematic. There are lots of mis-behaving tray apps, and lots of odd Windows results in that area of the code.

Anybody have their volume icon disappear for no discernable reason? Join the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back