Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how accurate are SERP checkers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonindus

Programmer
Dec 7, 2006
GB
how accurate are SERP checkers? even i in my site name as a key word the results say 'not found' for google

...but if i put in google it'll come up as the first result.

does anyone know of a SERP check that is accurate?

Obviously the one you are using isn't at all accurate.

Are the SERP checker and you checking the same Google site?
i.e. Are you checking a regional site whereas the checker is working with the .com site?

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

You can't say with any certainty that any of them would give "accurate" results. Even your manual searches could yeild different results each time. Two machines side by side in the same office can show different SERPs.

You could be looking at one DC and the "tool" at a different one each time you check.

If the "tool" is using one of Googles APIs it will be looking at a DC that is not part of the public rotation.

"Rank checking" is a truly futile exercise. You do a "ranking report" send it to the client, they do the same searches, get different results. Hey Presto, Instant irate phonecall.

Check your stats and the conversions for the phrases you are being found for, odds on you aren't checking rank on the phrases real people use.

Have a read at post #2 in Why Rankings Don't Matter

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back