Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How a configure on Multihomed server

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallEagle

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I just have a sigle server environment.
My computer has two NIC cards, one for Internet and other for Lan Connection.
I have installed AD on this server with DNS server installed.

The problem is I cannot brouse the domain as soon as I start accessing the internet. The Intenet IP gets registered in the DNS and this started browsing problem in AD. When I start AD users and computers it says, Domain Controller not available unable to browse the domain.

I checked on the microsoft site they say this problem is existing by design. I am somehow not convinced.

Is there any workaround.

All I want is I want to create a Lab Scenario with the Mutihomed server. Install AD and DNS with one NIC and access Internet(DSL) using the other NIC.

Please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Krishna
MCSE,CCNA,CCNP

BASICALLY WHAT I WANT TO ASK IS HOW CAN I CONFIGURE AD ON MULTIHOMED SERVER

1 NIC ----------------> Internet (DSL)
2 NIC ----------------> LAN(Active Directory, DNS etc...)

Thanks...
Krishna
MCSE,CCNA,CCNP

You may have already done this:
Make sure that only static IP's are assigned to the server (you can use DHCP for the workstations).

Restrict your DNS server to the internal LAN NIC address (in the configuration do not let it use all available IP addresses on the server, just the one for your internal LAN). Make sure you have it set up as authoritive only for your internal IP range. You can add your ISP's DNS servers as forwarders to resolve external IP addresses in your DNS server's configuration.

Enable routing on your server - indicate the second (Internet) NIC address as the gateway.

Quick Question, My DNS server is a Root server that is why the option for Forwarded configuration is greyed out.

Please help
Krishna
MCSE,CCNA,CCNP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back