Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How 2 capture lpt port using IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

needalife

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
I'm in the process of migrating/updating our nw51 servers to nw6.5 but also in the process of updating Edir from 85.xx to 8.7.3.3 before the actual nw6.5 OS install. I was told current print queues might break. We are not using NDPS. Yes in the future iprint will help but for now during this slow process, I need to be able to capture an LPT2 printer port to a network IP printer without using queues for an old DOS base app.

Any ideals??

are you meaning the printer is physically on the pc 's lpt2 port and you basically want the same functionality that pserver.exe and /or nprinter gave you?

in short - if you are - it's no longer supported

The PC doesn't have a lpt2 card but the software does support lpt2. The lpt1 port is assigned to a parallel cash register receipt printer. All other reports now are printing through a print que with is a printer on the wire. I was hoping for some mircle app or trick to capture a printer using ip and attaching to an lpt port assignment.

Hi if it is a network printer maybe it use netbios protocol print any configuration from printer and search for netbios name of this printer then on workstation make a batch and run it with autostart. Example of batch:
net use lpt2: \\192.168.100.12\hp1200

address ip you have to give the corect from your printer and the printer name give the corect netbios name.

iPrint in NW6.5 comes with a DOS ipp driver called iCapture. I replaced our cues with a pure IP solution which is clusterable (cues are not). You can capture LPTx to whatever iprint printer you have installed on the PC. I run a batch file on login that captures the printer.

I tried using Host Name and other names in the config of my HP LaserJet 4100 but I do not see Netbios. Still no luck so I must be missing something.

Thx "itsmyfault" for the heads up on nw6.5 icapture feature. I haven't of heard this one.

In my opinion, it's easier to quickly configure an NDPS broker and manager and a few agents, then recreate your queues and tie them into the agents. Much easier than Messing around with recreating your current queue based printer configuration after the migration.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I understand NDPS may be easier but I only have maybe 5 users out of hundreds on the network that need printing until we can use iprint or icapture which I hope allows me to grab an lpt2 port after nw6.5 is up.

I have tried using macfoxx's ideal with a twist because I couldn't get it working. Here's what I will do:

- Add a printer like normal using tcpip port
- Share that printer on that workstation
- Capture this network printer device using novell capture printer browse on lpt2, browse for the workstation
- Set to reconnect at startup

Thx all for the help and pointers.

iPrint runs on top of NDPS so the sooner you convert (it's very simple and easy) the better off you'll be. You'll wonder how you ever lived without NDPS.

Can't wait for my nw6.5 upgrade now. I'll start reading up on iprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back