Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hours of delay on all incoming mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharnal

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2007
US
I've recently been having trouble with e-mails being delayed between the outgoing server and ours. There is no trace of the e-mail hitting our server prior to the "received" time found in the headers. No hops in between us and the sending e-mail server, it looks like they are connecting directly. The message delays average between 1 and 5 hours, but I have seen delays of up to 24 hours.

Often mail will not come in from a particular domain all day, and then sometime in the afternoon many e-mails from that domain will come through at once. All of the mail will have around the same "received" time but varying "sent" times. Meanwhile, mail from other domains will be received just fine.

This problem happens with e-mail from many different domains, and is unpredictable when it will occur. It has been especially bad today.

We have no problems with outgoing mail.

Here is an example header from a delayed mail.
=========
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
Received: from test.test1.com ([72.18.3.132]) by sm-svr02.test2.test3.COM with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:18:35 -0800
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C7495A.1DD91A00"
Subject: Croft Order
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.5.7226.0
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 11:16:20 -0800
Message-ID: <7AD7CC7A22AD274C90205904DBAEF8EB1D0B8B@test.test1.com>
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
To: "Planwell Operators" <PLANWELL@test2.COM>
Return-Path: rla@test1.com
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Feb 2007 00:18:35.0208 (UTC) FILETIME=[57463C80:01C74984]

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7495A.1DD91A00
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7495A.1DD91A00
Content-Type: text/html;
charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

------_=_NextPart_001_01C7495A.1DD91A00--

I'm wondering if it's that domain name.

sm-svr02.test2.test3.COM

What are you running as an anti-spam tool on your network? Anything on the mail server? Sounds like it might be a badly configured greylisting.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

We're just using IMF

here's a little more info.

As far as SMTP logging, I'm getting a ton of EID 7010

responding to people with a 503 5.5.2 Sender already specified.

I found another forum posting of a similar issue here.

(delayed mail, EID 7010, BUT this person had hops between the sending and receiving mail server that seemed to have been delaying the mail.)

Only the e-mails with attachments are being delayed it seems.

Symantec, AV. I've excluded my exchange from the scans though.

Do you have ANY 3rd-party product that integrates with Exchange installed? Archiver? 3rd-party service that scans mail before it gets to your network?

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

previously I was using a custom weight xml file, but I disabled that.

The trouble seemed to go away once I disabled NDRs and reduced the accepted attachment size.

Not exactly a permanent solution.

Are you running the mail secuirty for Symantec? I have seen that do it when the auto protect feature is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back