Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hourly imports not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fflyer

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2002
US
I have a text file that I want to import into my database on an hourly basis. I set the job up to run at 15 minutes after the hour yet it doesn't run unless I manually execute it. Is there a step I am missing or somewhere I can go to find out what I am asking for is not happening?

Check your job that the DTS package created when you scheduled it. Makre sure it is enabled. Make sure SQL Server Agent is running. Open the job and check the schedules tab to make sure the job is set to run at the correct time you are expecting it to.

Thanks

J. Kusch

I checked those things. SQL Server agent is running but I did check the log and it tries to run when I wanted it to but is "failed" on each attempt.

I did a right click on that area (the job in particular) and clicked on "Start job." I din't notice anything change but then again, I need to wait until 15 after the hour to try it.

OK ... right click on the job again and check the history of the job. There is a check box you will need to enable to see all the steps of the job.

Also check you SQL Server error logs in Enterprise Manager(EM). The are found under the management tab. Look at the "Current" log file to see if you can see anything mentioned about your failing job!

Also see if you can set your job to use the sa account. Lets see if it will run under that account if all else fails.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks for the tip. I was able to determine in the expanded view that the text file had some security on it that disabled me from viewing it. So, after some permissions and folder sharing enabling, it works like a champ.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back