Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOUR MINUTE FORMAT AND CALCULATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

ybarot

Technical User
Oct 14, 2007
US
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, this is my first time. I hope someone can help me with my problem. I am creating a small database using Access at my work place. I came forward with 2 problems.
1. I need to create a field (Down Time) in a form that can store hours and minutes like 40:30. If I format the field as Short Date it won't allow me value higher than 23:59. Also, let you know that I am using the field (Down Time) in a calculation.i.e. Run Time - Down Time = Actual Time.

2.I also need a help on for the following calculation.
Unit per Minute =Quantity(number field)/Actual Time.
Your help is greatly appriciated.

A date/time field is designed to store a specific date and time of day. Short Date format is allowing you to enter a moximum value of 23:59 (one minute to midnight) as this is the latest time this format will allow.

You could use a numeric field of type integer and store the down time in minutes only (so two hours 30 minutes would be stored as 150 minutes), or you could use a numeric field that allows decimal places however this will mean converting minutes into fractions of an hour (for example 4 hours 45 mins would need to be entered as 4.75).

Alternatively you could have two fields - one for hours, one for minutes.

There are lots of ways of implementing this with varying degrees of complexity...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

You should not be storing durations of time in a date/time field. Decide on a unit of measure such as minutes or seconds and store values in a numeric field. If your smallest segment of time is minutes, then create a field of [DownTimeMinutes] with a data type of Long or Double. Store the number of minutes.

This will also help you resolve your second question.

Date/Time fields are for storing a point in time.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Sorry. I should have refreshed my screen prior to submitting to see Ed's response which is basically the same as mine other than his is more complete ;-)

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Thanks Ed, Thanks dhookom. I will work on your suggestions and post again if I need anymore help. Thanks again.

Hello, I am back again. The suggestion you made will work fine, but there is another problem which I should have mentioned before. My form fields are like this.

Start Time (Date /Time field): 10/30/07 9:00:00 AM
End Time (Date/Time field): 11/1/07 10:30:00 AM
Down Time (Field Type?): 38:30 (hrs/mins)
Quantity (Number):10000
Auto calculation field:
Actual Time(field Type?)=(End Time-Start Time)-(Down Time)
U per Minutes = Quantity/Actual Time
I am able to achieve all that only problem is it won't take more than 23:59.
Hope you can help me, I am trying to work this for days. Thanks.

Date/Time units are DAYS. If your DownTime is stored as Hours, you must convert to days.
Code:
Actual Time(field Type?)=(End Time-Start Time)-(Down Time)/24
If your DownTime is stored as Hours & Minutes, you must convert each to days.
Code:
Actual Time(field Type?)=(End Time-Start Time)-((Down Hours)/24 + (Down Minutes)/24/60)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back