Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HotSync problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysanthalbee

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
RO
i have never had problems syncing until now. i was trying to sync my clie a few days ago and it began normally but immediately after identifying the user an pop-up said that there had been a problem with the sync. i reviewed the log and it said that an application failed to respond and that i should see the palm desktop for more details.

i went to the desktop (although i use outlook as my PIM) and couldn't find any more info. i might not know where to look, but the hotsync log was the only information i can find.

i haven't installed any new software or made any significant software changes on my desktop (that i can recall). any suggestions?

chrys

Do you have more details? Computer OS? Type of cradle?

AlphaGuy

yes... USB cradle, win98, intellisync conduit with outlook, intstall/backup buddy, clie peg-n760c.

i have tried reinstalling desktop/hotsync, intellisync, and repairing outlook. nothing has worked so far. i tend to think the problem is with one of the first applications (i.e. outlook and intellisync) since the problem occurs immediately after confirming user.

this is the error message i get in the log:

"HotSync operation started 04/13/02 12:02:05
HotSync Error:
An application failed to respond to a
HotSync notification. Please check the Palm Desktop for details. (8009)
HotSync operation complete 04/13/02 12:02:05"

thanks,
chrys

I had a similar problem with my Palm Vx. As it turns out there is a problem with electrostatic discharge and the palm device (static electricity). The serial port actually gets 'fried'. If you search the web you can find some news articles on this.

If your palm is not seeing your serial port at all and therefore not connecting to hotsync this may be the problem.

It is easily solved by buying a serial -> usb converter or an add in serial port card.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back