Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotmail forwarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmelchik

Vendor
Aug 22, 2003
US
I am having hard time setting up my hotmail to forward to another address. When I go to Options/Mail - it does not give me an option of Mail Forwarding - this is what hotmail help topic suggests. Here're the options that I see under Mail:

Junk E-Mail Protection
Mail Display Settings
Message Replies
Custom Filters
Hotmail Navigation
Personal Signature
Mobile Alerts

Any other ways?
Thanks.
D

not that i have heard of. yahoomail is about the same way.

That's just so frustrating.
By the way, the reason why I want to forward is because hotmail did not upgrade my memory to 250 Mb so I'm still on measly 2 megs.
Do you know how to upgrade if it hasn't upgraded automatically?
And hotmail support is terrible, I've emailed them now and in the past and they don't respond. It's time to diss it altogether...

that is why i don't use hotmail or yahoomail

i have my own business website host email server and my home isp email server.

hotmail & yahoo allow anonymous identities and a lot of people like that but you get what you pay for.

You may have had a reply like this one before,

How about adding your hotmail account to outlook/outlook express and then create a rule where all hotmail email are sent to a seperate folder where they'd be stored.

I already checked hotmail into outlook deal - hotmail doesn't allow its free accounts to be dealt through outlook. They're one step ahead of us...

I've had my outlook deal with my hotmail email for quite sometime with no problems,

In Microsoft outlook you need to do this:

Tools>email accounts>add email account>click HTTP radio button>enter all info and make sure HTTP mail service provider is on Hotmail and then finish.

make sure your username for hotmail account is your hotmail email address.

Here's what Outlook said when I set it up just like you said and tried to get my emails:

Could not connect to Hotmail as dimka20@hotmail.com.

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free email accounts.

Please visit to learn more.

Account: 'Hotmail', Server: ' Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF6

Now that's odd, i've got my Microsoft outlook setup to recieve my hotmail, deleted the account within outlook and re created it last night and still no problems and i haven't subscribed to the updated hotmail account.
Have you tried outlook rather than outlook express and see if there's any difference?

I was recently involved in a similar discussion (thread605-1003231) and that poster said the same thing. Yet mine works fine as rwfhere mentioned. Also, I have scoured the hotmail site for any reference to this and can't find anything.

OK, I finally took some time to do some more extensive research on this hotmail matter and found that it true. This is primarily an effort to reduce spam sent through the hotmail servers. My understanding of how it affects users is:

[ol]
[li]Starting at the end of September 2004, new free hotmail accounts can not be accessed via OE & Outlook[/li]
[li]Users like myself and rwfhere that have previously used OE or Outlook to access their hotmail accounts will continue to be able to do so, until some unspecified time in early 2005[/li]
[/ol]

With XP SP2, the OE error message has been revised, but it seems that in other os's the cause of the 'unknown error' will not be as obvious:
Here's some more info:

Carmelchik, if you decide to ditch hotmail you may want to try Gmail.

2B||!2B

OK, lots of issues to address here...

Carmelchik:
First of all, free email accounts are just that...they're free! Don't expect so much from something you're not paying for - it's a waste to throw such fits. Life's too short for that.

With that said, there are other free alternatives that offer much more (mentioned above). The key feature to look for is POP access/forwarding. Smah is right around the mark in why hotmail doesn't offer it, although I can tell you that I created my account sometime in 2003, and it doesn't work for me either. So I don't think there's necessarily a specific cut-off date. Plus, if you search in help it indicates that none of the free accounts should have it - though there does appear to be a few exceptions!
[wink]

Also, the reason why online email services typically don't offer mail forwarding is pretty simple really. If the address's inbox you were forwarding to became full, that service would likely bounce the message back to the other account. Then if the one you were forwarding from became full as well, there would be an endless loop of emails being sent back and forth between the two servers, causing a potential DoS (Denial of Service) outage. It's just not worth the risk for a free account, so I have to side with Microsoft and Yahoo! on this one. Before online services were widely offered for free, it used to be a common feature.

Finally, there's the 250MB upgrade... According to hotmail's help section, not every free email account is upgraded at once. It's something they started several months ago and are still in the process of completing.

cydud3:
Gmail hasn't been released widely to the public yet - still in Beta testing stage. As far as I know, you can only get an account if someone that has one sends you an invitation. It should be available sometime soon. Good news is that it's free, you get a 1GB of space, and will include support for POP forwarding (for all you Outlook users).

[maroon]OK, now everyone breath...and...relax![/maroon][tab][yawn2]
[tab]

~cdogg
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back