Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hotkey->Shortcut->Launch new instance of explorer (repeatable) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascht

Programmer
Sep 22, 2000
CH
I'm really a fan of using hotkeys.

How can I launch a new instance of the explorer by
a hotkey?
When I press this hotkey more than one time, I'd like to get more than one explorer windows.

Do you have any Idea?

Ascht

[sunshine] PS:
When this works, I intend to use "HandThing" to position the windows by hotkeys.

Flying windows + E opens Windows Explorer, and ctlr + N opens a new internet explorer.

Hope this is what you mean.

Thanks, this is one method, but

[ul][li] I'd like to open the Explorer on a specified path.
There are links to my most needed directories.[/li][/ul]
[ul][li] Keyboard does not have the Flying windows key[/li][/ul]

Is there a possibility to open a new instance of the Explorer with a user defined Path name?

Ascht

If you create a shortcut on the desktop to Windows Explorer and in the target add
,c:\path to directory
this will open it at the directory stated e.g.
c:\windows\explorer.exe /n, /e, c:\ken

opens explorer at the directory ken.

I dont know how you can assign hot keys to this though, sorry about that, someone else may be able to help you.

Cheers

Ken

I don't have a windows 98 system in front of me now, so I can't give you exact details, but if I remember correctly....

Create that desktop icon. Right click it, go to properties. I think it starts you on the "shortcut" tab. You will see an option that says something like "shortcut key". It will say "none". Click in that dialogue box. It will not let you type any text in there. You just hit the key combo that you want to use. Hit apply.

Now you have a keyboard shortcut to start your customized Explorer session. Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Muddskipper
Works like a dream, you really do learn something new every day.

Ken

Kenred
thanx for you tip. It's very useful.

Only the thing with opening multiple instances by hotkeydoes not always work.

I assume:
When starting a shortcut by hotkey, a windows opens and the hotkey is temporary reassigned to the window, not anymore to the shortcut.
So when pressing the hotkey again, no new instance can be generated.
Instead of that, the 1st opened window gets the focus.

Is this right? No workaround?

ascht

[sunshine] PS:

In some installations it works the bad way
- Win3.1 shortcut to the Program manager
- NT4 shortcut to the explorer
in others
- NT4 shortcut to the folder
- Win2000 shortcut to the explorer
- Win98 shortcut to the folder
- Win98 shortcut to the explorer
it creates multiple instances.

I can remember that after rebooting several times the same installation, the behaviour changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back