Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot to setup Vmotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
Can anyone tell me a little about how to setup Vmotion?
Servers are ESX 2.5

I have read the very small part in the manual, but the part that I don't understand is how to setup the extra IP-numbers/network for the kernel.
I understand it like I need to give the kernel an extra IP-address and this IP-address should be in the same network with the other servers that I want to use Vmotion on.
Is this correct?
And how do I configure this extra IP-number?

/johnny

That's set up in VCenter. Do you have VCenter up and running?

I have Vcenter up and running.
But when I want to enable Vmotion it tells me that I need an extra IP-number for the ESX server.
Typing an extra IP-number into VC is no problem, but it gives me a warning that says the IP-number is to be used for the ESX kernel, but I can't see if VC does all the configuration needed or I have to do someting on the ESX box.

It can be that I just have to give the servers that I want to run Vmotion on extra IP-numbers in VC, but to me the documentation is not very clear on how to do it.

/johnny

Generally unless you're on a blade server you want one nic for the Console OS, one or more nics for the VMs, and one nic for VMotion. The VMotion nic should be dedicated to VMs when installing. Then in the MUI create a virtual switch dedicated to VMotion and assign that VMotion nic. Connect that NIC to the other ESX server(s)'s VMotion nic(s)via crossover cable or dedicated logical network (since VMotion does a lot of broadcasting). Then in VirtualCenter go to Host Properties and select that VMotion virtual switch under Network Label on the VMotion tab and enter an IP address unique on that dedicated network. The Gateway address should be the same for each of the ESX servers but doesn't really do anything as VMotion is not routable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back