Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hot swap drives not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

edge12

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2005
US
I've just put two new hot swap drives(ibm part # 19K0610) in my ibm xseries 350 (it came without any drives) but I don't seem to be configuring the system properly because they aren't found by the scsiselect utility program. The drives are getting power, because the green power light blinks on one time when I slide the tray and lock it in.

But when I use the scsi disc utilities only the adapter is found at #7.

And on boot I get a "SCSI BIOS NOT INSTALLED" error message.

Is there something I'm not doing right, or did I possibly buy some bad drives?

The X350 should have an IBM ServeRAID Adapter.
The SCSISelect is for the Adaptec controller.

At boot time do you see a ServeRAID notification
with a CRTL-I?

Nope. I just get a CTRL-A for the SCSISelect Utility. I'm getting no raid notifications.

Okay, I've solved the problem. (Red in face) Whoever had the server before me not only removed the drives, they also disconnected the scsi cable that attaches the backplane to the main board. I'm not sure why they did that, but that solved my problem with the drives.

Now if I could just solve the darn CPU problem!!! See this thread:

They most likely disconnected the cable to attach it to an add-in (PCI) RAID Controller. I responded to your CPU issue also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back