Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot MoBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
First the hardware:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
Athlon 2000+ with Thermaltake supercooler
512MB pc2700
GeForce FX5200
WD 250GB HD
450W PSU

I have been having issues with overheating. I've never had any problems in the past and have not made any hardware changes. The motherboard runs at about 52°c/125°f, the cpu 58°c/136°f and the power supply at 56°c/132°f when idling.

After about an hour or so the system temp spikes and I have to either shut it down or the bios shuts it down automatically. I have tried adding two chassis fans - one in the back and one on the side. I have tried replacing the cpu and the power supply but it still overheats.

I am wondering if the mobo is shot but other than the extrem temps and shutdowns, I get no errors or warnings. I have run diagnostics on the board and I get nothing except the high temp warnings.

What else can I try? Do I need a new board?

Thanks.

BlayneRTFM,
I have the same cpu in one of my pc's. It runs at about 48c using a copper based heatsink and some thermal paste.

If it is a system you have been running for a while you might want to look at your airflow. As time goes by the fans get dirty and can slow down, causing overheating where it wouldn't before.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

I thought it might be the cpu heating up the rest of the case but I am using a thermaltake dragon orb III 7000rpm fan with copper core. I've replaced the thermal paste a couple of times as well.

As far as airflow goes, I'm not sure what else I can do to increase it. I have a good sized case. I have the psu fan, the cpu fan, a fan on the back of the case, a fan on the side panel and a fan on the northbridge. You can literally hear my system running from 4 rooms over.

I just hate to go out and by a new board just to have it overheat as well. I want to make sure I've elimnated all other possibilities first.

Id ensure that the processor somehow did not get overclocked in the bios. Also how do you have the fans on the case? Id reccomend side fan blowing on processor and one on back of the case blowing out. If you have both blowing out or both blowing it it will defeat the purpose. Make sure thats not the case.

Also have you tried another processor fan? The fan your using could be going out.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I would also check to see if the TEMP readings are even CORRECT, by using an infrared thermometer...

sometimes the sensors on mobo's go wacky and report erroneous temps...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

A couple of things worth trying...

1. Check the PSU output voltages using a good meter, or if not available, try a substitute known good PSU.

2. Disconnect the cables (power and data) to all drives, and pull all cards except video.

3. As in Nbr.2 above but try a different video card.

4. Reduce and/or change the amount of memory.

See if any of the above result in a temperature drop.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

With relatively light hardware like that, temps seem on the high side even for an Athlon. If everything with the hardware is ok, you might want to check BIOS and see if anything is overclocked. You really shouldn't have to do this, but you could look at underclocking some of the hardware as a last ditch effort.

I would also look at a new case. If your system is really loud, not running cool, and all the hardware is ok, you probably do need better ventilation. You can get a case with a rear 120mm fan, front 80mm fan, and side 120mm fan, side duct for the cpu cooler, as well as space for a 4th fan, for 30-40 bucks off Newegg, or you could replace your current case fans with bigger or better ones for cheap.

One last thing, does your PC have plenty of room around it for ventilation? If it is in a tight space that is holding hotter air close to it for longer, that might be an issue as well.

Maybe the northbridge is overheating. I used to have a GA-7VA and the northbridge fan was very noisy, which implies it wasn't great quality. Try replacing it.

Which of the temps is spiking?

Nelviticus

I don't know if you have done this already, but I agree with Johnthephoneguy. Double check all of your heatsinks and fans and blow them out using a can of compressed air. I recently has issues with a 6800GS video card overheating and causing graphical issues, and in the process of upgrading my PC I blew it out with compressed air. I was literally stunned with how much dust and gunk had gotten into the assembly. After cleaning it out, I had no more problems at all.

Sorry it took so long to get back. Nelviticus I have had problems in the past with the northbridge fan. It sometimes makes a bit of noise at post and then runs smooth after a few seconds. But there doesn't seem to be any excessive heat coming from it's heatsink.

I do have the side panel fan blowing in on the board and the rear fan blowing out. I have also tried leaving the case out in the open with the side panel off. And I am using fail safe defaults in the bios so there is definately no overclocking.

Its just strange how the system is always running hot and then periodically it gets super hot where you can actually feel the system warming up the air around you - that's when I have to shut it down fast or it would probably fry.

I've already tried several power supplies as wall as processor fans. I'm not sure what else to do.

If you've got the case fans orientated and positioned correctly, leaving the side panels off the case can sometimes accentuate the problem, because you're disrupting the airflow over the motherboard and components.

You say the temperature spikes after about an hour. What is running at that time? XP desktop? Command prompt? Is it doing any work? Does Task Manager show CPU usage? Does this problem still occur if you disconnect all drives, cables and cards from the motherboard? I'm trying to determine if something attached is causing excessive current to be drawn.

You stated that the PSU was running at 56°c/132°f. How are you measuring this?

Might be worth making sure there are no shorts to ground under the motherboard. Do you get the same temperature readings if the motherboard is laid out on the bench in free air?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I have a gigabyte board that runs hot too.
take an extra case fan and strap it in a position to blow on the the CPU (through the fins is the best). that seems to help. from what I have seen Gigabyte boards run hot.

A underpowered PSU will make the board run hot too

No GOAOZ, I haven't taken the board out of the case yet. I always seem to be too busy looking at other systems to take a closer look at it. I've been planning on ripping it out of the case and running the bare minimum to see what happens.

I was hoping swapping out main components one at a time would cure the problem but this one has decided to make me do some real troubleshooting for a change.

I just have this feeling it won't make a difference, however. I'm betting on the board being toast.

I forgot to mention I have a fan on the harddrive as well. I figure if six fans can't keep this sucker cool then there is something seriously wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back