Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOSTS file not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crleacock

Vendor
Nov 29, 2001
US
We recently migrated to a new Exchange server and are having connectivity problems. The old server was Exchange 5.5 on Windows NT4.0 SP6a and the new one is Exchange 5.5 on Windows 2000 SP3. After moving mailboxes, users can log on with no problems when they are on site. Laptop users used to have a HOSTS file that would enable them to access Exchange remotely. The outside IP address is the same for the new server and I've changed the server name in the hosts file but I still can't connect from the outside. Any suggestions? If you need more info I'll gladly provide it as I'm in quite a pickle!

Thanks,
Chris

I've never gotten Exchange MAPI to work with a HOSTS file, only LMHOSTS. I would give that a try.

I set up my hosts file as well. If I set up the lmhost file I dont get a response when I ping the netbios name, just an unknown. Am I setting up the lmhost file wrong?? It looks like it should be as simple as the host file..

Clint

The format for hosts and lmhosts are very similar.

Unlike the hosts file, entries in the lmhosts file do not work right off the bat. Here's what you should do:

Put an entry in that looks like this:

192.168.0.10 mailservername #PRE

PRE must be in uppercase. Type nbtstat -RR (RR must be uppercase).
Type nbtstat -c. You now see your mail server in the list with -1 (infinite) TTL.

The #PRE tag means the net time the system reboots, the entries are "preloaded" into cache, and you do not need to run the nbtstat commands.

this is very strange. I did that, and here is what I get.
C:\Documents and Settings\cmeddy>nbtstat -RR
The NetBIOS names registered by this computer have been refreshed.

C:\Documents and Settings\cmeddy>nbtstat -c

acs:
Node IpAddress: [12.172.97.168] Scope Id: []

No names in cache

C:\Documents and Settings\cmeddy>

This thread ties directly into the one I posted and is right below......After just changing the IP addy of the server and the ISP we CANT get to our exchange server from outside the network....ideas?

This is a dumb question, but im assuming that the IP addy in the lmhosts file needs to be the external IP of the mailserver?

Clint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back