Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosts File keeps Populating 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoeythecat

Technical User
May 2, 2002
US
Hi All,

I have an end user with WindowsXP Pro who had several viruses and spyware. I ran all the pre-requisites before posting. I have run virus scans. The system is virus free. I have run spyware scans (Adaware, Spybot) and installed the Microsoft Anti-Spyware version. The system appears to be virus free and spyware free. However, when surfing the net popups keep appearing. I have noticed the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc keeps repopulating with several websites. The strange thing is if I delete the entries and save the file the web site entries keep popluating. If I delete the hosts file the file gets created again as soon as it is deleted.

Anybody experience this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Zoey

Diogenes,

I'm all set. No popups, no viruses, no spyware. Hosts file is not repoplating.

User is happy, I am happy, problem solved.

That's your call.

When I experimented with lop on my machine it created that hidden reloading path using task scheduler and the program files folder. I don't know if that happened on your machine or not, but felt like I should at least tell you about it.

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

@aquias - thanx, and darn good advice about the Restore Points... good call...

@zoeythecat - glad you got it resolved... but what Diogenes10 mentioned should be looked into... and you can always comeback here for advice, as this Forum is mostlikely the best PC problem solvingy Forum out there...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Lemme get on the bandwagon!!

First off, glad to hear it got resolved Zoey. That the system is stable is the most important thing right now.

However, the entries that Diogenes10 (we need to get you an easier name to spell :p) are all valid. Those items that were pointed out to you are ones that we were unable to identify and should be looked into further.

And, as an additional side note, Diog is one of the best at handing out advice on tracking and removing tough or unknown spyware that posts here (and there are quite a few very good people). If possible, take the time and utilize what's being offered it is possible that those entries will lead to a re-infection of the system.

That's my two cents, if you're happy with this resolution (sounds like the system is currently stable) then tell us all to shaddap.

Thanks all. I appreciate Diogenes suggestions as well. I gave the laptop to the end user. I have not heard back from him. If I do hear from him I will revisit this.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and the help you provided to help me resolve.

Hi,
Has anyone ran into a virus or malware w32svc.exe.Please reply back and let me know if there is a fix out there.
Thanks Richard

@rrock - plz start a new thread... General rule of the game: one thread per problem per user!...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back