Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[hostname] is not a registered client

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstang

Technical User
Nov 8, 2002
DE
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with networker 6.1.1 on solaris8.
I have to explain the history a bit, so that the problem becomes understandable...

The backup clients have two network interfaces, one is connected to the backup server.
The hostnames are defined in DNS as this:

host1t = ip address of traffic interface
host1 = alias to host1t
host1o = ip address of admin interface (connected to NetWorker server)

When I created the client initially, I used the wrong hostname (host1). This did not work of course, the name has to be host1o, with host1 as alias. The fqdn has been added for both names in the client config.

After realising (too late) what I did wrong, I hacked networker badly, because one cannot rename the client.

I shut down networker server, edited nsr.res (changed the client names from hostX to hostXo) and renamed the client index directory.
I did so because I did not want to delete and create 30 clients.

Now about the problem:
It worked for all but one client. For this client I get the message "hostXt is not a registered client".
I checked nsr.res and the index directories, everything is the same for all changed clients. I checked DNS, entries are ok. I could not find any differences between the config of the working clients and the one that does not.

Then I deleted the client that is not working in networker and deleted the index directory, then created the client again with the correct name (and aliases). It still does not work.

Any idea anyone? Thanx in advance...

Regards
Ruediger

Are you sure your connecting to the right machine?

Follow LEGATO TECHNICAL BULLETIN 299: IP Naming in Heterogeneous Environments (UNIX | NT | NetWare | Windows 95)

Then use tracert to trace the network path from the server to client and back to make sure that you're not actually talking to a different box than the one you think you are.

On the client, are you starting nsrexecd with -s, i.e:

nsrexecd -s (server name)

if so, is it the wrong server name?

Try populating the host file on both client and server. Then stop NetWorker, delete the /nsr/tmp directory, and restart NetWorker. See if this helps.

(NetWorker will cache network information in /nsr/tmp)

What if you add the other name add to the alias list for that client ?

never ever edit the nsr.res files.

use nsradmin to change config.

delete the client in networker config and add the correct client again.

cyberted

Hi all,

here are some resluts:

1. DNS entries rechecked -> o.k.
We do not use local host files, but I tried anyway (without disabling DNS, because we need it). I added host1o and host1 to the host file, not host1t -> timeout, no backup.

2. Deleting /nsr/tmp -> no change

3. Added host1t as alias in client config in nwadmin -> no change

Generally, I know that editing nsr.res is a no go, but it worked fine for 29 out of 30 clients (please could Legato add a rename client function to NetWorker? Please?).
After noticing the problem, I already deleted the failing client, stopped NetWorker, deleted the client index directory for this client, and then created the client, resulting in the same behaviour. Hmmm.

Any more ideas?

Thnx in advance.

Regards
Ruediger

did you check the dns only on the NW server?

try to ping the server from the client.

"just an idea!"

cyberted

licensing problem?

any lisences left?
>> nsrlic

cyberted

Hi all,

yep, network connections are fine for client and server, as well as DNS. Licenses: still got about 20 unused client licenses.

But thanks, any idea is still a help, because I don't think I thought of everything. I still expect the solution to be kind of obvious...

Regards
Ruediger

first delete the problem client from the networker resources via nwadmin. Then stop Networker services go to the /nsr/index directory and delete all the index-directory folders of the client. You also could delete the files in the /nsr/tmp folder. After this start Networker-Daemons and run Nsrck -L6, nsrck -m and nsrim -X.

After this, try to recreate the client. It could be that the client has

hope this helps

Check the name resolution on the client: launch nslookup on the client and then type in the server ip adress. The resolved name should be exactly the server name. Try this for all the adresses of the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back