Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hostname DNS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcraig

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2001
CA
This may or may not be an easy question, but how to do this escapes me.

I have windows 2000 advanced server running DNS for my network. I would like to have the DNS server do a resolution for a host name like and have it resolve to an IP outside my network. I know I can do this with a hosts file on the individual PC, but for the life of me, I can not figure out wehre it should go in my DNS server. In the DNS snapin, I have, under forward lookup zones, one for my network.local, and two for my companies domain names. I know I can add one under any of those, and have it work as testserver.domain.com, however I would like just the hostname to resolve to the IP..

Thanks in advance!

Add it to the Root hints.

Remember, it's all just ones and zeros!

Ok, this is totally new to me, so I must be missing something. I go into the root hints tab, add the server as testserver and the IP that I want, save, restart DNS, flushdns on the client computer, but it still wont resolve? Am I missing something?

I have no idea why you'd go in via the root hints.

I would just add another host A-record to my forward lookup zone mapped to the IP address. While you have indicated that resolves, in most cases just should also resolve to that IP address. In most domains the domain suffix is automatically appended.

We did the same thing with our OWA server. I have an A-record for MAIL in the DNS for a remote site pointing to our OWA server. From within their network they can type and still get to the server (of course they are in the same domain as we are).

I have 4 different domains that my internal DNS server has records set up for. And no, when I go in and add a host record (A) to the domain, I can resolve testserver.domain.com but not testserver. You would think that it should, but it does not, and I am still at a loss as to the correct way to proceed with this.

Ok, further digging and such, this is what I found out. I added the testserver host to my LAN AD Domain tree in the DNS server. So I have, under forward lookup zones, company domain (type active directory integrated), company.com (type Standard Primary), and comany.ca (type standard primary). I put testserver under the company domain, as a host. My DHCP server does not push out any DNS Suffix to any clients, so when I do an ipconfig /all on an XP machine, it says Primary DNS Suffix is: company

So from the XP machines, I can ping testserver with no problem, but from any windows 98 machines on the network, I can not. Any ideas?

Issue resolved.

Added the DNS Suffix to the DHCP server to push out to the clients, and the 98 machines now can ping testserver.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back