Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hostmysite downtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikky

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
Needless to say - I am looking for a new cold fusion hosting service. I have been using Hostmysite for about 6 years - in the beginning they were excellent, but each successive year has shown a steady decline in service and reliability. My main concern is the steady increase in downtime. Several times a week I have to wait 15, 20 minutes for them to restore cold fusion pages. They have never claimed it is my code; but they blame the situation on the fact that I am using a shared server.

Their solution: pay out 15 times the money for a vps or dedicated server. This is out of the question for my clients - they are small businesses. Their strain on any server is infinitesimal - it is hard to see why they should pay for a dedicated server.

Last year I was on vacation when one of their weekly crashes occurred - since December of this year, I've had to wait numerous times for Hostmysite to reboot, or restart, or whatever - I've had it.

Surely there is a hosting service out there that offers a stable shared platform ? Or is Cold Fusion inherently unstable in a shared environment - do I need to switch to Linux/mysql for a reasonable cost, stable platform?

Hi there, I don't know how much you pay per month but I use and the are pretty stable and quick to respond in cases of down time. I have used them for 2 years solid with 7 of my sites hosted there and have minimal down time. As I understand when on a shared server there will always be some downtime but it should be kept to a minimum. Several times a week is far too much. The last time my cf sites went down was a couple of months ago and it was dealt with quickly.

Hope this helps. I am sure someone else will post an alternative but it's an option.

Rob

You also might want to look at They've got almost anything you could ask for and their support is top notch. They're website isn't amazing or anything, but trust me when I say the simplicity of their site in no way reflects on their hosting services. I've been using them for over two years now and couldn't be more satisfied.

I've had a client with CF Dynamics for a couple of years now. They offer ColdFusion and SQL Server. We've had an external monitoring service watching the uptime and for the last two years there has been no downtime (uptime of 100%).

You may have better luck at WebHostingTalk.com if you're looking for a new host, though. That seems to be the best bunch of people to consult if you're shopping for hosting.

I've used HMS for about three years now for various clients, and while I also have had some downtime (never the level as nikky experiences), I find HMS to be somewhat better then the completion as far as fees are concerned.

My main issue with HMS has always been the way new accounts are created. Some directories has different level of permissions then others by default, and even if you change the permission from the CP nothing happens. I've had many techs tell me that option in the CP doesn't do anything -- naturally, I ask why even have it. Their response: it's purpose is for sandbox, even though as far as I know, HMS clients' don't have access to the sandbox (I gave up my argument at that point as I felt my IQ starting to drop).

Anyways, my comment is even if you switched to another hosting company, no doubt you'd get an account hosted on a shared server. If so, then isn't this issue is bound to happen again? I've priced shop around also, and there are no affordable prices for a dedicated server.

Hi,

I've used InfoQuest for years, and it sounds like your clients might be a perfect fit.

Check them out at
I've never had any downtime with them.

Let me know how it works for you.

Good luck,

mickeyj2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back