Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting Web Site - Just Added Linksys Router 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetar

Programmer
Oct 16, 2003
US
I posted this in the Windows XP forum but thought it might be more appropriate here.

I have been hosting a web site on my home computer, using IIS that comes with Windows XP Pro. I have a cable broadband connection and therefore a dynamic IP address. I use a web sites service to keep track of my home computers IP address and they handle the DNS entries as well, so this way everytime my IP address changes, the necessary DNS entries are updated and the URLs still point to my website.

Everything with that was working fine, until I decided i wanted to add a wireless router in order to use my laptop a little more freely. So now with the router being connected to the internet and issuing me a NATd IP address, my URLs point to the router instead of my computer.

So my question is, does anyone know how to go about getting around the router and getting the websites to point to my home computer again? Thanks for the help.

Set the rourter's port forwarding feature to point port 80 to the internal IP address of your desktop. You can get the desktop's internal ip address from ipconfig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back