Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting my own website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amgg888

Technical User
May 3, 2001
US
I'm running win98 se.

Is there an easy way I can host my own website on MY computer? (My computer being the server) And would I still have to register the name somewhere?

Thanks!

- amgv84 - amgv84

you can use PWS to host a website, but I strongly would recomend you get dedicated hosting , or that you get an ISP that'll give you a Static IP, and run a Server running, Unix, WinNT, or Win2k Server, that can stay on 24/7.

to do it the way you wanted you need a machine thats
* on 24/7
* has a static(unchanging IP address)
* has an Operating system meant to be a server
[unix, linux, the *nixs, WinNT Server, Win2k Server, etc] Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

It is theoretically possible if you registered with a 'dynamic DNS' service to point to your IP regardless of whether it changed.

There are so many reasons why it wouldn't work well, but I think security is the most compelling. As soon as a computer is out on the internet for any length of time, it will get scanned, and even with industrial strength precautions it will get hit. If this is your own computer, all the files will become available to the first hacker that chances on it.

This doesn't even begin to address the technical reasons why this may not be the best idea.

I have to endorse that. It probably doesn't cost more than about $20 per month to have your own domain hosted, and depending where you live, I doubt the phone charges for keeping your PC connected 24/7 would be less.

The only difference is you have to remotely maintain the site, but that's hardly challenging.

for 30$ a month, I get 200Meg, ASP support, Databasse support, 30 POP accounts, 15GB/month bandwidth on my domain(
and they register the domain name free if you dont already have a domainname registered. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Ok, thanks for the help! I guess its not such a workable idea...

- amgv84

Yea... lets an a hosting company host your site. Its really cheap now and you can still edit and have full control over your site without all the backend worries.

Greets all,
I'm in the process of doing just this..
I'm hoping to run linux, just need some help with the networking <have 2 other puters hooked to the server for their internet connection> can anyone point me in a good direction .. newsgroups, forums, url's
thanks
jojo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back