Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting another website on an existing IP address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnymk

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello All:

I have a website that I have hosted on IIS. Since our company is running out of IP addresses, I would like to use the exsiting IP address that is currently hosting another website and use the same IP address, but with a different URL (eg. and run if off the existing one. Is there anyway of doing that or if you guys can point me to a documentation that I can refer would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks.

"Behind every great fortune there lies a great crime", Honore De Balzac

The following article addresses IIS6, but is applicable to IIS5

Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Thanks for the link....I will look into that!!

I read the article but it is only a bief explanation. Is there any other sites that you know that explains in detail and the steps involvled to implement this. I will also search from my end.

Thanks.

To set up host headers you need to go to the web site's properties tab. Under advanced you will see where to set host headers. You need to set host headers for all sites using that IP address.

Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Vince:

I found a site with an explanation so thanks a lot for point me to the right direction. I have set up the site and it is up and running now.

Thanks.

where is this website and what solution did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back