Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting a site, need help urgently

Status
Not open for further replies.

rninja

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
US
I have a lengthy question here.
I want to host a site that's already hosted on another server. Before I got into linux, I registered a domain name with a hosting service. In order to change hosting, they require the DNS servers (primary and secondary), but I cannot use the server IP, they want a hostname.

To solve this problem, I registered an account at a free Dynamic DNS server. I set up the DNS records for the DDNS account and everything seemed to work fine.

I sent the hosting service the DNS hostnames and they emailed me back telling me that there is a problem with the DNS. I tried this twice, and they cannot change to my hosts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Rninja

Did you allow for enough time so that the changes for the hostname trickle down through their dns servers? I take it they are trying to do your hostname lookup on their dns servers.

rninja -

Which free DNS server did you use? I need to do this too.

Thanks.
Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back