Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hosting a site, need help urgently 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rninja

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
US
I have a lengthy question here.
I want to host a site that's already hosted on another server. Before I got into linux, I registered a domain name with a hosting service. In order to change hosting, they require the DNS servers (primary and secondary), but I cannot use the server IP, they want a hostname.

To solve this problem, I registered an account at a free Dynamic DNS server. I set up the DNS records for the DDNS account and everything seemed to work fine.

I sent the hosting service the DNS hostnames and they emailed me back telling me that there is a problem with the DNS. I tried this twice, and they cannot change to my hosts.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Rninja

You might try registering host names for your server IPs with the Registrar where you registered the domain. If it's Network Solutions, they have FAQs about how to do this. If is is Register.com, you can do it in their domain manager UI. Whatever Registrar you originally registered the domain with is where you have to register the Host names- something like "host1.domain.com" and "host2.domain.com" It should be free to register the hosts.

Well, The domain was registered through a hosting service that does not have a GUI of any kind. In order to change DNS or hosting, you have to go directly through them.

Rninja

If it is a .com, .net, or .org domain you can transfer it to Register.com for about thrity bucks and then you get their full domain manager service. They even give you one free mailbox with the real you@yourdomain.com address. Otherwise, best of luck.

try HN.org, they are way better. i use them and i host myself along with others.

I was recently told by a friend that because I use DSL and through bellatlantic (now verizon), I have to ask them to do a reverse DNS for me? I don't really understand why I would have to di that, but If someone could help me out I would much appreciate it. I need to try and have my site up in at least 2 weeks.

Rninja

No..ok look, i didn't have to contact my internet company or anything. You want DNS name servers to put in your dot com to lead to your ip right? Try hn.org.

Thanks Yousif. I go the hosting company to recognize the servers from hn.org.
I still want to use my DNS server on my network to handle requests, and that was my problem. The hosting company couldn't do it with my DNS server, they kept reporting back that it wouldn't work.

Rninja

no-ip.com and dns2go.com do these type of things I use dn2go and they work pretty cool so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back