Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hosting a second site...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tEkPhReAkk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 1, 2000
US
i am running windows nt 4.0 with iis 4, and i already have one site running on it.. i have a completely unrelated site with a different domain name that i would also like to host on the same server. i am new at this.. could someone tell me what i need to do to run 2 different sites, with 2 different domain names on the same server?
thank you!

Right, firstly you need to make the DNS point to your IIS Server, this is done by an external body.
Secondly, you need to create a virtual server on your IIS Server. This uses host headers to distinguish the different sites. This is done in the MMC.

1. Right click the correect computer icon.
2. Select New->Web Site and follow the wizard.
3. On the newly created site access its properties.
4. On Web-Site tab, select advanced.
5. Select (All Unassigned) IP Address, and click edit.

You then need to fill in the correct information here. The online help that comes with IIS will guide you through this bit.

James :) James Culshaw
jculshaw@active-data-solutions.co.uk

For step 5, does this mean that i need a unique IP number for each web site ? If so, how do i go about getting another IP address ?

Can I request multiple IP addresses from my ISP ? Or would it be possible to get my own Class C IP address ? if so, what is the cost involved in doing somthing such as this ?

Thank you
Clark

No Problemo !

You must only change this:
File Host in:

WINNT\System32\drivers\etc\host
----

# Exemple:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # Quellserver
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x-Clienthost

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.100.10 abc.com

Step 5 means that as long as you don't specify an IP address explicity to the site then you can use the same IP Address.
Another option is in step 5 explicity assign the IP address to each site, but if you do that any still with Unassigned set will not work.

James :) James Culshaw
jculshaw@active-data-solutions.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back