Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host VBA Form in Word Task Pane

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdunfey

Technical User
Apr 26, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am using Word 2003. I have a form in VBA which hosts an ActiveX control. I would like the VBA form to be hosted itself, within the Word Task Pane (Ctrl+F1).

Does anyone have any ideas how I may achieve this?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Rob

What does Ctrl-F1 do? What is the Word Task Pane? There are a number of Task Panes, so I am not clear which you are talking about.

Gerry

I think task panes are only available in 2003?

Ctrl-F1 do?
It opens the task panes.

What is the Word Task Pane?
They display 'Getting Started' info, 'Help', 'Clip Art', 'Clip Board' etc.

There are a number of Task Panes

Yes there are, but only one seems to be displayed at any one time. I want to make my own e.g. 'My Form', I want the task pane to host a form with some combo boxes, text boxes and activeX controls. Any ideas?

Kind Regards,

Rob

OK, I am running 2002. It has Task Panes as well. Yes, only one can be shown at a time.

Ctrl-F1 must be new to 2003 to call a Task Pane. It does not do so in 2002.

There is very minimal exposure to the Task Panes, programatically speaking. You can add certain items to the NewDocument Task Panes, but:

you can not edit the builtin items.
you can not, as far as I know, create a new custom Task Pane

If you have a form with controls, why do you want it to be in a Task Pane? I do not understand what advantage this may bring. Why not just call up your form. Heck, you can even make non-modal so it floats independently.

However, unless 2003 has changed significantly, you can not create a new Task Pane. There is no Add method to the collection; there is no .Delete; there is no .New.

As I mentioned, other than the .Visible property, and being able to .Add items to the New Document Task Pane, there is not much you can do with them in VBA.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back