Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

4chance

MIS
Feb 24, 2004
US
Looks like my Window GUI RH 2.1 AS has a bug and I can't seem to save the configuration of my server's hostname. Where can I change the hostname? As you can tell, yes, I'm a newbie to Linux.

Thank you in advance.
4Chance

hostname <newhostname>
Will change the hostname, just make sure you change the hostname in the hosts file as well as any other config file (cups,apache etc) that needs it. Its not as straight forwards as it seems

I tried that and it still come up with an invalid hostname. I made the mistake with the hostname when I was installing the OS using the Dell OpenManage assistance server cd. Now, I can't seem to find where I can change the hostname at the command line other than the GUI interface.

I've looked at /etc/rc.d/rc.inetl & /etc/init.d/boot and find nothing at this point.

Thanks,
4chance

what's about /etc/hostname & /etc/hosts ?

That should be...

In /etc/sysconfig/network there is a "HOSTNAME=" field, change/add it here.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

I looked at hosts, hostname, etc and does nothing for me. So, I decided to install webmin web browser interface. After I got the webmin installed, went in and modified the DNS & network configurations and everything displayed just like the way I wanted to. Yeahhh baby!! Now, I can go and load Oracle 9i on this box.

Many thanks to everyone for trying to help me with this issue.

4chance
Linux Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back