Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host Name Resolution Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris0l

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2010
US
Hello,

In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that a good number of machines on my network are not resolving to the correct IP address. For example when I ping host name= COMPUTER1 I get address 10.10.0.115 which in fact is 10.10.0.128. I have compared both local WINS and DHCP records and they both match with the correct host name and Ip address.

I recently migrated to a new server which also included migration of DHCP and WINS databases. All seemed to have gone well which is the only item that could be causing the issue.

This issue was happening before but was significantly on a lower volume, now just about 30 to 40% of my machines on the network spit out the incorrect address when pinged by Host name. Any assistance or feedback anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you tried clearing your NetBIOS and arp cache as you may still be attempting to access using stale info. Do you experience the same issues from pinging from other hosts?

It basically happens from any machine that I ping hosts from. I did tried clearing the netbios with the nbtstat -R command, not sure if that is what you are referring to.

The strange thing is that if clients are picking up the correct WINS server and DNS servers via the DHCP lease.

Is there any possibility that you can tie this to an update or something? At work, we discovered a couple of days ago that some of the host names started resolving to the wrong (different) address. I believe that the server is running Windows Server 2003 and is implemented with a domain controller. We assumed that one of the IT departments was responsible and opened a ticket, but this sounds awfully similar.

Hello Noway,

Not sure if it could be tied to an update, the reason I think is not related is because I've had this issue for a sometime now, however is has gotten a lot worst lately.

I am not sure exactly where the mapping of the incorrect host to addresses are coming from because when I look in the DHCP server and WINS server, both address and host name match.

Was your issue resolved? If so, do you know what was done?

I think the issue resolution is still in the works. I work on a decent sized university campus, but my department has its own VLAN with a domain controller that should be handling the DNS and WINS queries, etc. It looks like something got remapped as the look up is going to a different network segment. We temporarily worked around the problem by modifying the hosts table to point to the correct server, but this is a one off fix that won't scale effectively.

Once I learn what the real problem and solution are, I will be sure to post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back