Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Host agents, when to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpantherz

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2007
US
I need some help. Fortunately, (or unfortunately), I inherited a couple of 4700s in my organization. But I'm new to this.

Can someone give me a history lesson on when are host agents needed? In my environment, I noticed that we never use host agents on the servers connected to the 4700. We install Windows or Linux, it comes up, detects the HBA, and then connects. Of course we have the WWPN registered on a Brocade switch.

I read somewhere that starting with 4700, agents are no longer needed. But why is this not mentioned in my documentation?

Are host agents needed for specific cases? If so when?

Can someone help.

Thanks.

Host agents are needed if you want to have some informations uploaded from your hosts.

For example wich lun is used to mount /usr filesystem on host XXX

The host agent are very usefull when you connect your hosts to the 4700. With the host agent you will see the hostname, IP, OS etc... in the 4700, so you can recognize your server easily and automatically. Otherwise you will have to register the server manually.

Host agents are not necessary but they help to do it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back