Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horrendously slow loading page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

maharg

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
Hi

I'm making a page for my cycle racing club which shuffles our club riders' names, alongside a fixed list of professional riders.

It should look like this screenshot...

The page is at...

The page takes over a minute to load in Firefox, and in IE the table structure is corrupt.

I'm getting nowhere - any help MUCH appreciated!

Thanks and regards,

Graham

I would change this
Code:
<table width=600>
<tr><td>
<div id="pairing"></div>
</td></tr>
</table>
to
Code:
<div id="pairing"></div>
and this
Code:
files.sort(randOrd);
for (i=0; i<files.length; i++) 

{
x=i+1;
document.getElementById('pairing').innerHTML+= '<tr><td bgcolor=yellow width=300 align=left>&nbsp;&nbsp;'+entrants[files[i]]+' </td><td bgcolor=silver width=300 align=left>&nbsp;&nbsp;'+ pros[i] +'</td></tr>';
}
to this
Code:
files.sort(randOrd[b][red]()[/red][/b]);
var tstring = '';
for (i=0; i<files.length; i++) 
  {
  tstring += '<tr><td bgcolor="yellow" width="300" align="left">&nbsp;&nbsp;' + entrants[files[i]] + ' </td><td bgcolor="silver" width="300" align="left">&nbsp;&nbsp;' + pros[i] + '</td></tr>';
  }

document.getElementById('pairing').innerHTML = '<table width="600">' + tstring + '</table>';
document.getElementById calls can be expensive time-wise, so calling it once to insert the whole string should be faster.

As well, your original page has a table with a row and cell containing a div, and inside the div you just start throwing in rows and cells. The code above puts the entire table into the div after it's built.

And in the page source it shows x = i + 1 in the for loop, but x is never used.

You could speed it up a bit by unrolling the loop, too, but the code I gave you should help with what you want.

Lee

I was wrong about using the parentheses in the array sort method call.

Other than that, the code displays in IE and Firefox pretty quickly, and shows what you want.

Your styles at the top need a change to semi-colons rather than commas after the color: black in a couple spots, too.

Lee

You don't need to reload the page each time, you just need to call the function.

Code:
<input type="button" value="Reshuffle Riders" onclick="ShuffleTheRiders()">

Lee

You have an end; statement just before your </script> tag that causes an error.

Lee

Somewhere in your files array you're missing a number. To make it the same length as the pros array, I'd initialize it AFTER the pros array like this:
Code:
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//index numbers, make sure there are as many index numbers as there are [b]entrants[/b] (or use [b]pros[/b] if you want to skip the extra entrants on the list)
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
var files= new Array();

for (var fi=0;fi<[b][red]entrants[/red][/b].length;fi++)
  {
  files[fi] = fi;
  }
and
Code:
for (i=0; i<[b][red]pros[/red][/b].length; i++)
  {
  tstring += '<tr><td bgcolor="ffffaa" width="220" align="left">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<b>' + (i+1) + '.&nbsp;&nbsp;' + entrants[files[i]] + '</b></td><td bgcolor="#eeeeee" width="220" align="left">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;' + pros[i] + '</td></tr>';
  }
document.getElementById('pairing').innerHTML = '<table width="440" border=1>' + tstring + '</table>';

Lee

Thanks again Lee,

I think I found the missing number, but I'll take your advice on the initilization - will update tomorrow.

All the best,

Graham

Keith - have a look at the javascript quoted in Lee's first post and see where the table is constructed.

If you want the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first.
'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'
Drive a Steam Roller

The code supplied just outputs a single list of names in the div.
I think the original poster intended to use a table to display 2 columns of names, as in the screen shot.

Keith

The final link the OP provided shows pretty much the exact output as the image in his first post.

Lee

The link still takes a long time to load. In FF, I got an error saying the script is taking to long to load and if I want to stop running the script.

Sorry, must have that link post. I was using the link posted in the original post.

Checked the new link, and it loads quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back