Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal Scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caden

Programmer
Dec 9, 2001
CA
Hello all,

I'm looking for a tutorial on how to create a horizontally scrolling bar with whatever I want in it, text, graphics whatever.

Any ideas?
Caden

does it need to be dynamic? if not you could bung your assets in frames (say 10 apart) and motion tween back and forth. this may be a bit more time consuming than using the standard functions, but you have total control!

hope this helps,

ralph

Caden,

Or you could use the Scroll Pane component. There really isn't any tutorial I have found that directly talks about implementation, but I would recommend you see the "Creating forms with UI components in Macromedia Flash MX".
There is a vertical scroll bar in there. You will learn the basics of the components in about 30 minutes, and you can apply that knowledge to the the Scroll Pane component. Use the Flash Help engine and search for "Scroll Pane". It will tell you how to set up the Properties for the component. You have to set up any objects you want to put in the Scroll pane in a Master clip.

So, just put all your items you want to see in one Master clip. Make sure the MC is the eventual size you want to scroll through. Establish the Master MC linkage by right clicking the clip in the library, selecting "linkage", and then select "export for action script". This makes the Master clip and all of its contents available to the Scroll Pane. Type the name of the Master clip, which is in the library, into the "Scroll Content" property of the Scroll Pane.

Then run it.

You can position and size the scroll pane however you want and it will automatically create the vertical and horizontal scroll bars as required to encompass your data. If you dont need the vertical scrolling, just make sure your referenced Master clip is the right height to fit within the Scroll Pane vertical Height, and the Scroll Pane will remove the vertical scroller.

With the help of OldNewbie, Firegambler, and Wangbar I have finally managed to get it working today and, have been able to reference animations and movie clips embedded in the Scroll Pane from my main timeline.

Thanks Guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back