Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal lines on monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yankees23

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have a ViewSonic E771 monitor. It has horizontal lines
displayed on it at all times. The video card is a 3D Blaser
Riva TNT2.

I have already tried going to windoows update.microsoft.com,
they have no updates related to my video card.

I also tried downloading the latest drivers from the creative.com web site. The only recent update I found and
then downloaded, is a zip file. I am unable to open the
file....Help please!

Are these lines there as soon as you power it on or only after windows loads? Are they dotted lines that flicker or are they white lines that are evenly spaced?

The lines start as soon as I power up or reboot the system.
They are much more noticeable in an open browser with a white background. They are grey horizontal lines, with various depth to them.

First check the monitor's data lead. Look for bent or broken pins in the 15-pin connector, and then check that the video card is seating properly in the mobo socket.

Assuming the above's ok, I'd say there's a greater chance of it being the video card than the monitor. Monitor faults don't usually show up like this... Try changing your video card for a known good one. Or, if it's easier, plug your video into a friend's PC...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

You also might try reseating the video card. The "TailEnd"
may have come useated slightly.

I tried reseating the video card, still same result. The monitor's data lead pins in the connector are all good. Will try the video card in another computer. Thanks for the help all.

How many of those horizontal lines do you have?? just 2 or a whole bunch? If it's just two, I've been told it's "normal" on 17+ inches monitors. As a matter of fact, I went to a few computer stores to confirm, and I'd say that most of the larger monitors I've seen have those lines. Harder to see on some of them... It's almost like there's a row of pixels missing from the image...

Sorry, that doesn't fix the problem, but we might get some reactions to what I've been told (from sales people, tech people at 2 stores)

Cheers

Realm174

There are several gray horizontal lines of different
depths. The monitor is a 17", however this is a new problem. The monitor and video card are close to 3 1/2
years old.

I have 2 horizontal lines on my monitor, it's a trinitron with aperture grill tube. The lines are thin wires that support the grill from behind. Could be what you are seeing...or maybe not. You can read about it here:

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Here's a twist...your monitor may be going out. Try plugging another monitor in and see if you have the same problem. I the problem goes away..break out the wallet.

GL.

Walter

yankees,

did you get that figured out? that just happened to me last night and i don't know if its the monitor or the video card. i have grey lines that line up with darker parts of the screen (like black text).

crankymonster

I spoke to a friend of mine and he had the same problem as
I am having. He ended up replacing his video card. I am going to plug in my monitor or video card to his computer later this week. Thanks for the help all!

yeah, i just changed my video card because i figured i could just return it if it didn't work. it works fine now, althought the installshield on the CD was a mess, and i had to download the software...

Excellent! So it was the video card culprit!

Good to hear you got it worked out.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back