Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal group by

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECooper

Programmer
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,
I have am trying to generate data from a DB which contains lines of code changed per programmer per build.
Table codeChanges has fields:
<filename><build number><programmer><lines of code changed>

I would like to generate output in the format:
<build><total lines changed by programmer1>><lines changed by programmer2>...

I can generate output in the form:
<build><total lines changed by programmer1>
<build><total lines changed by programmer2>

with the query
SELECT codeChanges.build, programmer, Sum(codeChanges.NumberOfLines) FROM codeChanges
GROUP BY codeChanges.build, programmer;

but not with multiple programmers on the same row.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

I should add that I am exporting this data to Excel and need it in this format for charting purposes. I was not able to get the report format I wanted from MS-Access.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Two issues (not answers) occur to me.

A.[tab]If the number of programmers is more than a VERY few, a columar report will spill over the page and be difficult to read. Since you are discussing using a chart for the report format, this may not be of concern or interest at the moment, however many 'chart' type reports eventualy need to be supported by a regular columar type report, so it may be necessary to address this at some (later) time.

B.[tab]Since the chart in &quot;MS. Speak&quot; is always the same 'applet' (e.g. MS Chart), there is little (nothing?) which you can do in Excel that cannot also be accomplished in Ms. A., so the transform to Excel (or other apps) is simply a workaround to learning the programatic interface to MS Chart.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back