Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal and Vertical centering of text

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh42891

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
Using CR XI, is it possible to center text horizontally and vertically within a text box? Thanks,

dylan

Horizontally, yes, using the usual method of highlighting the text box and selecting the center icon or use format Text->Paragraph->Horizontal Alignment->Centered, but vertically not with a setting, you need to size the text box accordingly and add carriage returns and size them for any sort of precision.

-k

Yes, I know I can size the box manually, but I need to find a way to automatically (or pseudo-automatically) resize the text box for 1, 2, or possibly 3 lines of text. I need it centered vertically and horizontally in a column heading. I'm buliding reports that are handed over to a state gov office and if it's not exactly like the template they gave us (as a .doc) they'll lose their minds and anarchy will reign.

I'm wondering if I couldn't devise a series of 3 formulas that counts the number of characters and uses that number to decide how many lines of text it will take to properly display the heading. The first formula would only display headings with less than, say, 20 characters; the second, 30 characters; the third, 40 characters or more. Haven't tried it, just a thought. Any other ideas from anyone? Thanks!

dylan

dh42891, when asking for an answer, it is polite and helpful to explain what you've already tried.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back