Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hooking laptop up to TV - no S-video on laptop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovygarden

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
Hi all,

I (stupidly?) ordered a Dell Vostro 1510 last week, and it's due to arrive tomorrow. I had to order it in a bit of a rush, so didn't do my research properly, and have only just realised it doesn't have an s-video port (I thought s-video was pretty standard these days?).

This is a problem as I need to be able to hook the laptop up to a TV. Is this possible some other way? Is there some sort of cable or adaptor I can buy? My TV has s-video and RCA connections. The laptop graphics card is an Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100.

I've been googling, but am getting confused! There are VGA to S-video cables for a couple of pounds, and converters for almost £100...

Any suggestions gratefully received, as the two Dell tech support guys I've spoken to today haven't been any use.

Many thanks

This is the laptop:

Something like this would be your best bet:

Its VGA to RCA Video cable
or VGA to S-Video.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Thanks. I was hoping for a nice, cheap solution like that!

The product details do say though that "This adapter works with graphics cards that have TV-Out function capability through the VGA connector. Check your Video Card manual or manufacturer to make sure that your VGA card has TV-Out function capability"

I've done a bit more googling, and doesn't look like the Intel 3100 supports TV Out through VGA. So unfortunately my laptop will arrive tomorrow and go straight on eBay... :eek:(

I don't think that requirements is correct.

As long as it has the VGA output and you can redirect the signal to it it should work as expected. Perhaps a chance in resolution may be needed, by I don;t think it really requires a TV out. If it had a TV Out then you would not need the cable.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Besides, if you really made a mistake when ordering then call Dell and explain it to them. They might ask you to refuse delivery of the laptop so you can get a different unit.

I also agree with vacunita here on the topic of whether or not that adapter will work...I think it will, but I've been wrong before. There's other hardware solutions to this problem, but you are buying a brand-new laptop and should not have to even think about offing it on eBay before it's arrived!

Give Dell a call, they might be able to help. Even if it costs an extra hundred or two, it will not equal the cash you will lose by re-selling it.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Isn't the Vostro 1510 a laptop? You will need something that fits in the 54 mm ExpressCard slot.

Tony

Users helping Users...

You could, and it would, unfortunately for you, Laptops aren't normally upgradeable when it comes to video cards.
And the one you posted is for a desktop not a laptop anyway.

I suppose you could try a USB to S-Video converter.

But there's no reason to think the cable won't work.

wahnula said:
I also agree with vacunita here on the topic of whether or not that adapter will work...I think it will, but I've been wrong before.

I have actually tried this as well, I found a VGA to S-Video/Composite cable and hoped it would work - no luck. Unless your video card's specs expressly tell you that they support TV-out through the VGA port, it will most likely not work.

These cables are mostly made as replacements for Dell laptops that came with TV-out through VGA so that people who lost theirs would have to pay 3x as much to Dell. If you want TV-out from your VGA port you'll need to buy a converter box; or just get a laptop with TV-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back