Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hooking Enterprise Mgr to MSDE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CInman

IS-IT--Management
Mar 15, 2001
GB
Is it possible to hook up SQL Enterprise Manager to manage MSDE server?

I'm looking to have a small SQL Server, and MSDE seems to be the answer (cost free, etc.) but I cannot "manage" it (e.g. restore db, create db, etc.) ... if I cannot use Enterprise Manager, then how do I do it?

Look in the Books OnLine for osql. You use command line instructions/scripts.

-SQLBill

I've never tried it myself, but I do know people who have successfully connected Enterprise Manager to MSDE with little or no work. I'm sorry I can't be of any more help than that.

You can only use the SQL Server client tools, such as Enterprise Manager, if you have a licensed edition of SQL Server (Standard, Enterprise, Developer). If you do have proper licensing, then you can connect to MSDE as easily as any version of SQL Server.

I use OSQL and MS Access to administer MSDE on my home PC. MS Access projects make administering MSDE rather easy, though not as easy as EM and QA. There are several online articles available, explaining how to administer MSDE with Access, ASP or VB. Some of these include downloadable code.

SQL-DMO Picks Up Where Enterprise Manager Leaves Off

Programming SQL-DMO from Access

Doing DBA Chores with SQL-DMO

Managing Your MSDE Database

Using Microsoft Access 2002 with MSDE 2000

Managing SQL Server with VB

faq183-1637 shows "How can I script my SQL Server databases from Visual Basic?" using SQL-DMO.

MSDE.BIZ has some MSDE products for sale and demo. I've not used them but may download one of the tools this weekend to test.
If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back