Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hook Switches on IP Phones..I2004 and I2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogg1

Technical User
Nov 3, 2008
US
Question:

Do the I2002 and I2004 have known problems with hookswitches? Lately I have run across several I2002 and I2004 sets that will go directly to H/F when you pick up the handset. Just curious if others are finding the same issue out in the field.

Thanks!

There was a bulletin in the past about hook switch failures for I2002 sets and a replacement procedure but this has expire i think.

Yep bad hookswitches (chaulk another one up to Nortel):

Luckily, I saved the bulletin from my sales rep because we still have these older i2002s at our LaVista site.
We just send ours in to our vendor and they replace them for free. I don't know if the i2004 has the same issue. Try to press the hookswitch fast multiple times (simulate lifting the handset) to see if you can duplicate the issue. Usually you can. If not, you can check the handsfree option in the Options menu on the phone itself.

BULLETIN ID: 2007008268, Rev 1
PUBLISHED: 2007-09-07
REGION: APAC
CALA
EMEA
GC
NA
PRIORITY: Major
TYPE: Bulletin
Background:
Nortel* has received reports that the hook switch on a small percentage of the IP Phone 2002 may not function properly
after a period of use. The reported problem is that the hook switch on the IP Phone 2002 will go "on hook" too quickly or
will stay "on hook" even if the handset is completely removed from the handset cradle in some cases. Nortel has
confirmed the root cause of the issue was due to a manufacturing issue that has been corrected in the factory. The
Product Release Number was increased to track the hook switch change applied to the units. The affected Product
Release Numbers for each product code is shown in Table 1 in the Attachment section of this bulletin.
Please Note: This KPD is NOT associated with the 1120 1140 "hook switch" issue previously reported.
This is a Class B Corrective Retrofit KPD program.
Analysis:
Production units of the IP Phone 2002 with specific Product Release Numbers are potentially at risk to exhibit the hook
switch issue, including the following top level product codes:
The following product codes are affected (note the affected Product Release Numbers are also indicated per product
code):
NTDU91AA16 / A0533404 IP PHONE 2002 (ETHERGREY) Icon keys without Power Supply (Product Release Number
01 - 07 are affected)
NTDU91AA70 / A0533406 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL) Icon keys without Power Supply (Product Release Number
01 - 07 are affected)
NTDU91AB70 / A0554772 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL/BEZEL) Icon keys without Power Supply (Product Release
Number 01 - 07 are affected)
NTDU91AC70E6 / N0062912 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL/BEZEL) Icon keys without power supply (ROHS) (Product
Release Number 01 - 02 are affected
NTDU91BA16 / A0533405 IP PHONE 2002 (ETHERGREY) English text label keys without power supply (Product
Release Number 01 - 07 are affected)
NTDU91BA70 / A0533407 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL) English text label keys without power supply (Product
NTDU91BB70 / A0554773 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL/BEZEL) English text label keys without power supply (Product
NTDU91BBGS / N0014028 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL/BEZEL) GSA English text label keys without power supply
(Product Release Number 01 - 07 are affected)
NTDU91BC70E6 / N0103359 IP PHONE 2002 (CHARCOAL/BEZEL) English text label keys without power supply
>TECHNICAL SUPPORT
. TECHNICAL BULLETIN
Reported IP Phone 2002 hook switch failures due to a manufacturing issue
(ROHS) (Product Release Number 01 - 02 are affected)
Recommendations:
A change in the manufacturing process for the IP Phone 2002 hook switch design has been confirmed to address the
potential hook switch issue, and has been introduced into the factory. The Product Release Number has been changed
to ensure proper product tracking, and to guarantee returned product has been upgraded with the hook switch
improvement. Repaired units and new orders will include the hook switch change.
Replacement units are available at the Repair Centers. Stocking Distributors and Channel partners should follow the
processes described below to receive free of charge replacements for any installed IP Phone 2002 units that manifest the
hook switch failure.
Customers who have installed units that manifest the hook switch failure can get a free of charge replacement by
following instruction in the Required actions.
PLEASE NOTE: The replacement unit may not be available in the same color style as the returned original unit. If
available at the time of return, a unit of the same color style will be sent as a replacement unit.
Required Actions:
Installed equipment is defined as product that has been installed at the end customer's site, or removed from the original
carton, and matches the product code and Product Release Number as described in this Product Alert Advisory Bulletin.
The expiry date for returning installed equipment IP Phone 2002 units exhibiting the hook switch failure for replacement is
September 30, 2008. Please use the Installed equipment replacement process described below to return IP Phone 2002
units that are exhibiting the hook switch failure.
NOTE: Customers who fail to return MOL in a timely manner could be subject to delays in future shipments.
Using the Product Code and Product Release Number criteria described in this bulletin, any installed equipment IP Phone
2002 units that exhibit the hook switch failure can be identified and returned using the following guidelines and
procedures:
1. Complete a Parts Request Form.
a. To obtain a parts request form in the USA, send an email to usenterp@nortel.com
<mailto:usenterp@nortelnetworks.com> and put PRF in the subject field. A parts request form will be automatically
emailed back.
b. To obtain a parts request form in Canada, send an email to canenrep@nortel.com
<mailto:canenrep@nortelnetworks.com> and put PRF in the subject field. A parts request form will be automatically
emailed back.
c. For all other Regions, please contact the number or appropriate person as indicated below in Attachments section.
2. This advisement only applies to units manifesting the hook switch failure of the product codes listed in Attachments
section above.
3. Only exchanges for authorized Nortel distributors will be honored.
4. The IP Phones to be returned must be returned in the carton supplied with the advance replacement delivery.
5. This program will be in effect until September 30, 2008.
6. An Advance Replacement Order can be emailed to the email address listed in the following table. Note in the table
that some regions must fax or mail the Advance Replacement Order Form.
7. At time of order placement, please reference the Clarify Bulletin number . An RMA (Return Material Authorization) will
be issued for the return of defective parts.
8. For North America, CALA, Asia Pacific, and Greater China, order the "FR"replacement Part Number(s) that
corresponds with the CPC part number that you are replacing (see table 1). Note that the first two characters of the
regular CPC part number are changed to FR. In EMEA, order the current installed PEC code rather than the
replacement code.
Contact your appropriate Repair Center as follows: See Attachment section for Affected products and return information.

Thanks For your help! I will forward this Bulletin to mu boss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back