Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

homepage resets after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorehead

Technical User
May 24, 2001
GB
Morning All,

Windows 98 stand alone, IE 5. Analogue connection.

Problem: Surfing some scripting and coding sites the other day, I had my homepage reset. Not a problem, set it back to hotmail. However, when I reboot, the same undesired page returns as soon as I start IE again. So I search registry for URL, then replace all with Hotmail. Reboot, still coming up with bad page. Resolve IP address to URL, search and replace with other good IP address. Same with URL's (which have also reset back to bad page). Delete all offline content, temp files, cookies, the lot. Check for unwanted software installs, nothing. Go through entire registry looking for 'odd' entries. Check all the .ini's that I can find for other programs being called. Couldn't find anything (but doesn't mean it ain't there, I guess). Reboot. Same old, same old. Homepage is still wrong.

Is there a tool that'll sort this? Or will a reinstall of IE do it?

Any other ideas?

Appreciate the help.

Jim..

You will probably get all kind of suggestions for various downloads but here is a simple fix:

Correct your home page to the one you prefer, then immediately do the following:

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
Right-click on the Internet Explorer key, choose new>Key, name it Control Panel.
Right-click on the Control Panel, chose new>DWORD value, name it Homepage. Right-click
on Homepage, choose modify and type in the number 1.

This should lock your home page, so no other web site can change it.

Then navigate here and verify the homepage is correct:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
look for the Start Page entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back