Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

homepage in IE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaldee

Technical User
Mar 2, 2002
US
Just found this site! Q:I read with interest how to lock the homepage so another site cannot change it. However, I need to know how to unlock the thing as I got caught. Now I cannot change the homepage. this is thanks to a site from russia called "ed.ru" .

I'm sorry, what is your question?? You cannot change the homepage?? Cant you go into Options -> General and change it in there?? I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Thanks to both of you. No, the tools, options is grayed out and locked out for change, autensibly by a "virus", but housecall pc-cillin cannot find it. Used SafeGuard for homepage and can now get the page I want, but the option is still grayed out. I am going to check out the threads recommended.

chaldee

Use Regedit.exe and search for NoBrowserOptions and remove it.
Or,copy between lines below, open notepad, "save as" options.reg, use "Allfiles" instead of text.
Save it to a folder you can find it in easily, My Documents is fine.
Find file in Explorer and double click file, answer yes to prompts to merge file in registry
If you are unfamiliar with Regedit, then ensure you know how to
restore your Registry in case of error and it is a good to export any
key before deleting or changing. Close Explorer and reopen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Restrictions]
"NoBrowserOptions"=dword:00000000
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check the startup (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab) for any unknown
items if it is reset on reboot.

For a complete thread including other options if this does not help see thread, (18) articles on MS Newsgroups

Good Luck smitee

Really appreciate the help. Have gone out and gone through all the RUN options and more in regedit. Nothing. Will try Smitee's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back