Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Home Wireless network ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstclass

Technical User
Oct 21, 2001
US
I want to get my other puter downstaires using my cable lan internet service. It's about 90 ft away and want to know everyones suggestion, is wireless mini-port a good idea or doesn't it work very good??

Thanks

The 3com wireless network kit is great. I networked our neighbors house with it. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Haven't had a great deal of experience with this technology, but first impressions with some D-Link equipment were not very favourable when compared to the manufacturer's claims. System appeared to work ok in offices next door to one another, but once the signal has to get through more than a couple of thin walls, a few filing cabinets, assorted metal structures or objects, substantial degradation occurred. It was also noted that staff walking about in or near the signal path very significantly affected the signal level. Despite what the blurb might tell you about the achievable distance of so many hundreds of yards between nodes, this is a theoretical figure in a perfect world, where there are no absorbing or reflective objects in the vicinity of your RF signal.

Given the distance you're talking about, I'd go for cable every time, unless there is an extremely good reason otherwise. Remember also, that these devices only run at 10Mbps...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I know of a product called Home Portal. I have not used it myself, but I know of a few people that have. Basically what Home Portal allows you to do is to use your existing phone lines to connect your machines. The Home Portal box is actually a router with a switch on it, unless I am mistaken. The people that I have known that use this device are extremely happy with it...... Hope this helps a little.

We have a wireless system set up in one building and like
ROGER - GØAOZ the system does not perform quite as advertised.

We have 3 central antennas (one in each hallway) and a total of 26 users split about evenly to each node. The system is very slow when most people are logged in and working. We even had to run cat 5 cable for the accounting dept becaus the server would time out waiting for the wireless.

We anr using the Orinoco wireless cards and adapters. The other problem is the PCI adapter cards do not like the 815eeea Intel M.B.s

I reckon I am saying the concept is great but there remains a lot of work to do on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back